Saturday, January 30, 2010

Battle of the Binky

Ella has a binky. I know! I know! She's 3. She's too old for a stinkin' binky. Tell me something I don't know!! Literally everyday I say to Tim, "We really need to get rid of that binky." And he says, "You say that everyday." Thanks for the insight,honey. I know we do, but she just loves it so much...and she's just so cute and sweet when she has it. She's my sweet little precious baby {{she said in her baby talk voice}}. She only has it at nap and bedtime. She's a tiny little thing so that's my excuse for letting her keep it. I rationalize it with, "Oh, she's so tiny and she just loves it so much. It's so comforting to her. And it's not ruining her teeth that much. It's nothing a very skilled orthodontist can't fix, for several thousand dollars." And we have made some strides with it...she use to have three she slept with. One in her mouth and one in each hand. Then we lost one, so it was one in the mouth, one in one hand. And recently was our biggest stride...we actually made the decision to only let her have one. Our hope was that it would be the one she held in her hand, but no such luck.

It's hard to let it go for so many reasons. The ones I mentioned before, and the fact that she shares a room with Mia. Poor Mia...having to sleep in the same room with her while she adjusts to no binky. How could I put her through that. There is also the whole, "there have been so many changes lately". Potty training. Moving from crib to big bed. Own room to sharing a room. Trips. Trying to sell the house...the reasons are endless...

Anyway...One morning, Tim, Ella and I were laying in bed (yeah, she was in our bed, but only because Mia had a sleepover and they were...on the air mattress in the living room. I know. I didn't have an excuse...) and he tried to take it out of her mouth. She quickly covered her mouth with both hands and said, "No...leave my binky alone!" He said (in a very sweet, fatherly manner), "We're going to have to find you a white binky with pretty flowers on it for your wedding night." Because, yeah, I think that's where we're headed.

No comments: