Thursday, January 28, 2010

Bedtime Woes

Ok...I was honestly wondering what the penalty is for parents who strap their kids in their beds. I was going to do an internet search, but didn't have time because Ella WOULD NOT go to bed last night. She wouldn't stay in her bed and evertime I caught her coming out of her room she would scream and cry, nearly waking the dead!! I don't know how Mia slept through it. But seriously, at some point, I considered tieing her up. Not for long...just until she went to sleep. Do you think there's a big penalty for that? Because if it happens again tonight...I'm not sure I can resist the temptation. But...I have my defense all planned: "It was for her own good, really, your Honor. She's been so sick and not sleeping well and it was obvious she was exhausted. I knew if she was just still for a few minutes she'd be out like a light. I did my best to make sure the ropes left no marks on her. Are you a Stay at Home Mom, Sir? Have you ever stayed cooped up in your house for days on end with sick kids who are crabby and hysterical crying one second and then bouncing off the walls because their medicine kicked in the next? Have you ever experienced that, Sir? Well when you do, I'd love for you to come back and tell me you wouldn't at least consider doing the same thing."

In addition to being up late last night, she had several nightmares and woke up crying numerous times. Poor baby. I feel for her, because obviously I'm experiencing the same thing, while Tim snores like a buzz saw next to me. Ella started sleeping through the night at 6 weeks old, and until she turned 2, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been up at night with her. She's an amazing sleeper, so I would guess this bedtime interruption has to be hard on her, too. I'm sure that in time, she would thank me for making sure she got a good night's sleep in her own bed, don'tcha think?

Tonight, I'm hoping a little shot of tequila will make things go just a little smoother. And I might have one, too. And I'm getting the tie-downs out of the toolbox just in case.

1 comment:

Sharon Mizner said...

OK Kimberly, strapping kids in their beds at night does have a specific penal code attached to it - translation: YES it is a CRIME!!!
I have many years experience working cases of crazies like you... Seriously, you crack me up. I can totally relate to your writings - with the exception being a testosterone infused version via my 3, 5, and 15 yr old. boys. Boys are weird too.!!!