Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Are You Smarter than a 2nd Grader? Because I'm Obviously Not!

Oh my goodness. What are they trying to teach these kids these days? I feel like a complete idiot when I try to help Mia with her homework. And if I feel like an idiot, how do you think she feels? Um...it sort of makes me a little mad. Ok...a lot mad. Why are they trying to make everything so difficult?

Seriously...the math is insane! One of tonight's problems went a little something like this(ok...exactly like this. Is that plagiarism?):"Take a shape with 5 sides. Choose a vertex. Draw lines from that vertex to the other vertices that do not share sides with the first vertex. How many shapes are formed? How many sides do they have?" WHAT?!?!? What does that even mean? I thought a vertex was something used in time travel!! Or the thing in the Bermuda Triangle where countless ships and airplanes have disappeared. I didn't realize it something to do with 2nd grade geometric problems! And when I used spell check on this post, it didn't even recognize the word 'vertices'. What's that tell you? I think they're making things up! I don't even think this stuff exists. I feel really bad now because I actually got onto Mia for not listening in class. I thought if she had been listening, she should know what a vertex was so she could explain it to me then I could turn around and explain it to her. I know, bad mom...it was really just me trying to cover my butt for not being able to help the 2nd grader with her math homework!! Blame it on the kid. It's obviously her fault, right? Um, no...it's not. It's the stupid person who made up all these stupid words and wrote this stupid curriculum.

There have been several times I've called my sister (the teacher, she should know everything right?) and read some of the problems to her. She's even confused...and she teaches 4th grade, so she's required to be smarter than a 2nd grader!! What happen to learning addition and subtraction by adding and taking away?!?! Apparently now days you have to have a college education to make it through 2nd grade. I wasn't aware of that and sent Mia to preschool and we played with blocks, watched Barney and Dora the Explorer. Shame on me!

Remember when 2+2=4? Not so much anymore: "If Danilyn already has 2 rocks and picks up 1 at the playground and another 1 on the way home then trades 2 to Ariana for 1 from the river and 1 from the mountains, how many rocks does Juan have?" Ok, so I made that up, but it's not far off. And note the names in the problem. They don't use Suzy and Katie any more...Gotta update the names and be a little more 'diverse'. Whatever.

I don't have a 'real' college education. I went to beauty...I mean "cosmetology" school (that just makes it sound a little more sophisticated) but I should be able to help my 2nd grade daughter with her homework! I think it's some sort of conspiracy with curriculum companies. Not sure what their goal is, but if it has something to do with making adults feel stupid and confusing the heck out of kids, then they're succeeding.

This sort of thing really does wonders for the parents who are already questioning their parenting skills.

*This blog is a little 'unfinished' but it was written in lei of banging my head on the wall.

1 comment:

Sharon Mizner said...

All I can say is, AMEN!!!!