Saturday, February 27, 2010

Perspective

Saturday was a weird day for me. I woke up with a sore back and neck from the crap of a mattress we have. I also played the rolls of "The Soccer Ball" and "The Pillow" in the "Ella Show" that ran all night long. When I woke up, I found Tim gone to work and Ella and Mia both in my bed. I grabbed my computer and did what I do best...facebook. On my home page someone posted a picture of what I thought was just a really cute little girl...I was right. She was a really cute little girl. A really cute little girl that was only a few months younger than Ella and who was dying of cancer. I clicked on the link that took me to her parents blog. Whoa. Wasn't prepared for that! On their blog, they had posted family pictures that had recently been taken. Taken in a rush...before she died. You couldn't tell by looking at them that she was sick. They were beautiful.

The whole story really hit home. They were a family of 5. They had 3 girls. The youngest was Ella's age. One of the blogs was about regrets. Mom was talking about how she had so much time to do everything she needed to do at home because the little one just slept most of the time. But she went on to talk about how she would give all that time up to just have that little girl under her feet. How she'd give anything to take 45 minutes just to change the washer and dryer because she had a little helper. Again, I say, whoa.

As I read that blog, tears streaming down my face...I looked over at 2 of my 3 sleeping angels and was so thankful for those feet in my back all night. The rest of the day, I still got irritated, I still got upset and even angry a couple times...but I was thankful. Thankful for my life and all the good and bad that comes with it. I took a little extra time that day to listen to the girls when they wanted to talk to me. I took the time to watch their painful little shows and listen to their slightly off key made up songs. I took time to thank God for everything He had given me.

When Tim came home I shared the story with him and I'm fairly certain he only understood about the first word, because I was blubbering through the entire story.

As if that story wasn't enough for one day...we settled into bed and watched the movie "Changling". It's a true story about a woman in the 20's who son went missing. Whoa. More to think about.

Let's just say that between the blog in the morning and the movie that night, I went to bed with a whole new persepective. I know I'm still going to get irriated with my kids, but I will be thankful everyday that I have that opportunity.

Deep. I know.

1 comment:

Sharon Mizner said...

Wow, thanks for your "wake-up to reality" blog. I know there are many times I get caught up with how difficult my life is. I can't even imagine going through what those families have. I am blessed to have my family just the way it is - flaws and all. And, I wouldn't change it for the world because I HAVE them in my world. I guess we all need to be reminded of that from time to time.