Saturday, July 9, 2011

Trailer Trash? Oh Yeah...

I love RV'ing, but every time I go somewhere I realize that it takes all kinds of people to RV.

You have your $300 k+ motor homes that are usually an older, retired couple that spend most of their time traveling, or some young dude and his family that have money coming out their ears from either daddy, or the .com he started when he was 12 and sold for $800 billion when he was 16. And they usually have an H3 as their tow car. No Saturn Vue like us common folk. No way. Nothin' but the best, baby. Nothin' but the best.

Then you have your toy haulers. These might also be owned by some young dude that has money coming out his nether region, but also likes to play on the dunes. These range in size from big to gi-freakin'-normous! I saw one today that looked like it was 50' long. I'm not kidding....they had a Freightliner to pull it. {{Really? A Freightliner? So you just unhook your trailer and drive a Freightliner to town, because that's real practical.}} And there is so much room in those things that they can haul just about anything. Someone has a couch at their campsite. A COUCH! Come on! (Ok, I'm secretly jealous, but shhhh!! Don't tell anyone.)

Then you have your renters. These are often Asians or the white family that thinks they're being super adventurous by renting an RV and taking to the open road in a class C motor home that says, "1-800-RENT ME" in huge letters across the side. These people don't know how to drive one and they certainly don't know how to park one. It's a little comical to watch, actually. They pull in and out of the spot a good 10 times before they finally just settle on being crooked and 10 feet away from the hookups. That movie "RV" with Robin Williams was based on facts, people.

Then you have your just plain ol' white trash. I have never seen so many tattooed women in muscle shirts in my life. I think I'm one of about 3 women (Me, Ally and Renee) here who aren't tattooed! No, really. That doesn't even surprise you, does it? I'm not talking about a little ankle tattoo or a tramp stamp. No. I'm talking tattoos all over their arms and their legs. And muscle shirts? Really? There are just way too many things wrong with that. But, If they're not dressed like a man, then they're wearing super short shorts and a tube top, have crazy kool-aid her (FYI: That wasn't a typo. Look up "My Push Up Bra will Help Me Get My Man" on youtube and you'll understand), and piercings everywhere. Eyebrows. Nose. Lips. Cheeks. Probably lots of other places that we can't see. And the guys with their pants around their @$$ and their hats crooked on their heads or pulled down past their eyebrows and ears.

And do these people work? From the looks of them, I can't imagine they are capable of holding down a decent job. I'm sorry if this offends you, but honestly, it's hard to trust your bank teller when they have holes in their ears the size of a golf ball and a tattoo across their face. Um, hello, but putting on a button up shirt , khakis and tie does not an honest-looking person make! But I'm not judging...

Anyway...My friend, Ally, staying in her super cute vintage trailer, said she had some people next to her one night that smoked pot all day and all night. At one point she said there was a couple gettin' it on at the car and later one guy sleeping in the truck bed...that they literally made into a bed, air mattress and all. Nice. Of course, after a while she didn't really care what they were doing and strangely started craving brownies, but that's neither here, nor there.

Gone are the days when the campgrounds were filled with young, happy families, enjoying some quality time together in their RVs. Apparently now it's a past time for anybody and everybody, if you like that sort of thing.

Some people don't. Like my friend, Kimberly, who mentioned in her blog that she doesn't get the whole RV'ing thing. And I get that. But here's my argument: It really shouldn't be considered camping, because we have an entire house on wheels. Full kitchen, 3/4 bath, 4 bedrooms , dining area and a family room. (Ok. Ok, so the dining and family room are also considered bedrooms, but you get what I'm saying.) We also have running water, electricity, cable, indoor toilet. And the best part? I get to sleep on my own sheets every night and not wonder who, or what's been going on in the sheets before I got there! Yeah, I have to make my own bed, but at least I know that whatever that stain is on the sheet was from someone in my family and not some random hooker doing God knows what...But that's just my opinion.

I was going to go around and take pictures of the various types of RVs in here, but my battery died on my camera and I forgot the charger.  Shoot. It was going to be awesome, too.

We fall somewhere in the middle of all this business...We have a class C motor home, that is ours (no "1-800 RENT ME" pasted on the side). If you don't know what that is, it's the ones that have the van cab in front and the camper looking thing on the back. Laugh if you will, but it's perfect...for us. And it's not little. It 31' feet long, with 2 slide outs, thank you very much. And we love it. So, if that makes me trailer trash, so be it. But no worries. I will not be getting a tattoo just to fit in.

**Ok, I've had one hell of a week. You know about the stitches...but the night she got her stitches out, she developed a fever, which we later found out was most likely strep. Oh, and I didn't mention the headache and vomiting she had going on, either....for 4 days now. I have to say this...while this trip has SUCKED the BIG one, at least I wasn't cooped up at home and unable to get outside because of the 107* heat. I was here, in the BEAUTIFUL weather, in my "vacation home".So, please excuse the randomness and any typos. I'm functioning on very little sleep. (LOL! I've always got an excuse, don't I?) Oh, and the first sentence is a little misleading because I only ever go to Pismo and occasionally the mountains.**

1 comment:

Sharon Mizner said...

Oh, thanks so much for the laugh! Lately, I have been looking at those 1-800-RENT-ME motorhomes with the beautiful sceneries painted on them....thinking how nice that would be, but maybe I will just settle for my tent!!! You are so funny Kimberly.